Vaginal yeast infection is caused by a yeasty fungus known as the Candida albicans. In normal situation, this fungus is present in your vaginal area in moderate amounts. But when the Candida overgrows, it turns invasive and conquers the system. An infection by the Candida is known as Candidiasis.
Benefits of avocado in reducing vaginal yeast infection
- Avocado neutralizes the acidic environment where the Candida thrives, as it is an alkali forming fruit, and thus restores pH balance of body.
- It is rich in vitamin E which is one of the most powerful antioxidants available in nature. It acts as a shield from free radicals and polyunsaturated fats, heals skin damage, speeds up the recovery from Candida, and stimulates the thymus to function better, and thus avocado alleviates vaginal yeast infection.
- It is a non-sugary food – i.e. its consumption doesn’t feed the Candida with sugar.
- Avocado is a rich source of potassium, which helps to regulate blood pressure level. This can guard against circulatory diseases, like high blood pressure, heart disease, or stroke. Avocado also contains “oleic acid”, a monounsaturated fat that helps to lower cholesterol level and thereby improves overall health. About 75% of calories in avocado come from this fat. A healthy body is less susceptible to any infection, including Candidiasis.
- A cup of avocado has about 23% of the daily requirement of folate, a nutrient that is significant for heart health. A good heart initiates a good circulatory system which stimulates the blood purification process.
- Even one slice of avocado maximizes the body's ability to absorb carotenoids. Cartenoids are important promoters of overall health.
- Avocado is rich in nutrients such as vitamin K, dietary fibre, potassium, folic acid, vitamin B6, vitamin C, and copper. Thus, it makes the system internally strong and augments the immunity barrier.
- Avocado has high fibre content. It consists of 75% insoluble fibre and 25% soluble fibre. Fibre helps in stool formation which helps to eliminate body toxins and thus makes the internal environment unfavourable for Candida overgrowth.
Avocado, however, is a starchy food, though it is low in protein. For optimum digestion, you can consume Avocado alone or you can do so in combination with non-starchy non-sugary food. Eating avocado with cucumber or celery will augment the digestive process as additional enzymes will be generated by the body. Avoid consuming avocado within 20 minutes of eating any sugary fruit. To avoid feeling sluggish in the mornings, you can eat avocado during lunch. You might like to avoid avocado if you are having acid reflux or indigestion.
How to eat the avocado?
- Mashing avocado in the form of avocado butter and eating it with veggie preparations
- Eating it raw
- Mix with vegetable rich, sprout-containing stews and soups
- Avocado and tuna fish salad with lemon
- Serve it with tomatoes, cucumber, and grapes
There is no food that can be called as the complete diet for Candidiasis. In fact, dietary revolution itself is not enough to fight vaginal yeast infection. It is caused by a host of factors covering your entire physical and emotional well-being, and unless you treat these imbalances holistically, you are inviting the disease again and again to your system. A compromise with any of the factors boosts Candida infection. If Candidiasis is your problem, then holistic treatment is what you should employ to avoid side-effects and get a long-lasting solution. Holistic treatment, which uses natural methods to address ALL the causes of vaginal yeast infection, is the only method that cures the condition completely and without any side-effects.