digestive tract is heavily populated by a large number
of beneficial organisms and a small number of commensals
or opportunistic pathogens. The beneficial intestinal
flora is absolutely essential not only for proper
digestion but also for general health. Beneficial
bacteria support the human immune system by preventing
pathogenic organisms from gaining a foothold in the
body, provide the body with various essential
prostaglandins for balancing hormones, and produce
digestive enzymes, co-enzymes, and various vitamins.
Poor eating habits, the use of antibiotics in food production as well as medical treatments, and stresses of modern-day living have all wreaked havoc on the gastrointestinal tract, the immune system as well as other systems in the body.
Herbs and probiotics are generally a safe way to strengthen and tone the various systems of the body. Read product inserts, particularly contra-indications, and follow instructions faithfully. You also need to take a probiotic supplement along with each of these remedies. Some of those believed to be effective in controlling Candida are:
(2) Garlic has antifungal properties.
(3) The juice of the herb Echinacea has been shown to lower the recurrence of vaginal yeast infections.
(5) Oregon grape root and barberry contain berberine, a digestive and immune stimulant.
(6) Chamomile and licorice are anti-inflammatory.
(7) Topical treatments include tea tree oil or lavender essential oil. Marigold salve is also useful for rashes.
(9) Oregano. It is a strong antifungal but may also cause irritation.
(10) Caprylic acid.
(11) Grapefruit seed extract.
(12) Cinnamon is useful for oral thrush.
(13) Olive leaf extract.
(14) Other herbs such as peppermint, rosemary, thyme.
(15) Taheebo Tea.
(16) Colloidal Silver.
term probiotic is derived from the Greek language and
literally means "for life". In adequate amounts,
probiotic formulations improve digestion and increase
absorption of important nutrients like calcium. They
also support healthy liver function, produce B vitamins
and promote bowel regularity. They can help against
flatulence, bloating and other digestive problems.
Normally, they contain Lactobacillus and Bifidobacterium
The herbal antifungals do not offer a long term solution. You need to work towards building the immune system and creating a healthy environment in the body so that the Candida symptoms do not recur. For this, exercise, healthy dietary regimen, emotional well being is also important. Only a holistic cure can be permanent and safe.