About 70% to 80% women are affected with yeast infection at least once in their lifetime. Most among those affected get repeat attacks. This is because they seek quick-fix solutions which temporarily get rid of the infection but not the cause of the infection. Homemade remedies for yeast infection, on the other hand, are more effective as they not only cure the infection but ensure that the infections do not occur again.
The most common cause of yeast infections is Candida albicans. This is normally a part of the normal flora and its number is kept in check by Lactobacillus acidophilus, friendly bacteria present in the human body. An imbalance in the numbers of these two organism leads to yeast infection.
This imbalance may be caused due to many reasons:
· Indiscriminate use of antibiotics, steroids, certain birth control pills tend to destroy the friendly bacteria.
· Hormonal changes during menstruation, pregnancy, and menopause also contribute yeast infection.
· Infections like AIDS, cancer, disorders like diabetes lowers the general ability of the body to fight infections, resulting in yeast infections.
· Wearing tight clothes restricts air supply to the affected area leading to infection.
Homemade remedies for yeast infection are not only effective bur are safer and much cheaper than conventional treatment modalities using drugs. Some well-known homemade remedies for yeast infection are:
· Application of apple cider vinegar to the area of infection. Garlic may be added to reduce itching and water to dilute the vinegar.
· Curds or yogurt is one of the best homemade remedies. A tampon soaked in yoghurt and placed in the infected region for at least an hour two or three times a day is extremely beneficial. The friendly bacteria in the yoghurt replace the unhealthy yeast eradicating the infection. Alternatively, capsules containing probiotic bacteria are available which are just as helpful.
· Drink at least two glasses of buttermilk a day. Making curds a part of the daily diet reduces the chances of yeast infection.
· Mixture of olive leaf extract with grapefruit seed extract in a glass of water is a good tonic for yeast infection.
· Garlic is an amazing drug in the treatment of yeast infections. It may be eaten raw or in the form of pearls or capsules.
· Oil of oregano. Taken internally it is very potent against yeast.
· Tea tree oil is also said to be an effective natural medication for yeast infections.
Using homemade remedies for treating yeast infection is just a small piece of puzzle of holistic medicine. Holistic medicine restores the imbalance between the internal and external factors which has caused the infection in the first place. When balance is restored, the yeast is kept in check.