Candidiasis is a common yeast infection affecting almost three out of four women. The yeast infection is common in people with a compromised immune system due to indiscriminate steroid and antibiotic use, as well as during conditions of hormonal imbalance, diabetes mellitus, Lyme disease, and HIV.
The yeast cells are complex in nature as compared to bacteria and therefore chemicals toxic to them are toxic to human cells too. Moreover, the drugs aim at killing or suppressing the yeast infection and not at restoring the balance of normal flora of friendly organisms.
There are a number of natural remedies for yeast infections without prescription medications. Though many women report relief with these home remedies, their safety and efficacy needs to be investigated before clinical recommendations can be made.
Some natural remedies for yeast infection include:
- Drinking olive leaf extract with grapefruit seed extract in water.
- Garlic with known antifungal properties and may be inserted into the infected area or taken in the form of pills.
- Douching with vinegar and water.
- Drinking strawberry or cranberry juice, to relieve symptoms.
- Psyllium fiber taken everyday with water along with guar gum, flaxseeds or pectin cleanses the intestinal tract reducing the incidence of yeast infections.
And thatís not all. Other methods of treatment bring relief.
- Tea tree oil cream and vaginal suppositories made of garlic and boric acid.
- Probiotic cultures of Lactobacillus acidophilus bring about symptomatic relief.
- Another type of probiotic of Bifidobacteria is believed to produce acetic acid, hydrogen peroxide and other antibacterial substances which inhibit the growth of harmful bacteria and Candida.
- Other supplements like caprylic acid, oleic acid and oregano oil are also useful in treatment of yeast infections.
- Baby oil containing aloe and vitamin E relieves itching and soothes the skin and hydrogen peroxide, Pau Díarco are also believed to be helpful.
Holistic Approach Uses Natural remedies
Practitioners of natural remedies for yeast infection recommend personalized programs with diets and supplements. Supplements are introduced gradually because when the yeasts are killed, they release protein fragments and toxins which trigger a response from the immune system and cause a temporary deterioration of symptoms.
Reducing refined sugar, starch, processed foods, red meat and increasing fresh fruits and vegetables and having yogurt in the diet, all helps in preventing recurrence of yeast infections.
Wearing loose, cotton underclothes, keeping susceptible areas dry, avoiding synthetic fibers also alleviate symptoms. Relieving stress, treating underlying conditions such as diabetes mellitus and HIV also restores the immune system. Avoid the use of feminine sprays, perfumes, scented soaps, and colored toilet paper as the chemicals in them trigger an allergic reaction and worsen the yeast infection.
Yeast infections are stubborn and difficult to manage. And to cure any yeast infection permanently by natural remedies requires a more holistic approach. Changes in lifestyle, diet plans, detoxification, as well as Candida elimination all need to be undertaken to tackle the root cause and prevent recurrences.