Penile yeast infection usually occurs in a man due to overgrowth of the Candida albicans in the penis and the surrounding areas. Triggered by internal and/or external factors, penile Candidiasis can be embarrassing, dangerous, and can even cause morbidity in males.
Reddish colouration of the penis tip and shaft, accompanied by irritation, soreness, itchiness, burning sensation and swelling are the common symptoms of penile yeast overgrowth. Slight clumpy discharge or whitish flaky layer on the penis is also reported by some, though not by all. Anal irritation in the form anal rash occurs when the fungus spreads to the anal areas. Scrotum and the upper thighs may also get infected in extreme cases.
Pain during urination, difficulty during sexual intercourse, anger, depression, lack of concentration, and mood swings are the common manifestations of penile yeast infection.
It is important to note that many of the above symptoms can also be exhibited due to infections other than yeast attacks. Thus, it is important to professionally diagnose and confirm the overgrowth of yeast before going for yeast infection treatment.
There are a number of causes of yeast infection in men. These include:
- Diabetes: High sugar content in urine boosts yeast growth.
- Low immunity: It can result from a hypo-active thyroid gland, severe stress, Lyme disease, and HIV. Low immunity barrier causes the yeast infection to go unchecked.
- Diet: Consumption of food items such as sugar, wheat, starchy fruits and vegetables, processed and canned food, etc. promotes yeast growth.
- pH imbalance: A shift in the acididity-alkalinity environment towards the acidic end creates an ideal environment for the Candida to thrive.
- Sexual transmission: Invasive yeast can be acquired from an infected person during sexual interaction. (Rare)
- Antibiotics: Antibiotics kill the beneficial probiotics at the penis and in the crotch. This gives more space and nourishment to the Candida and also disturbs the pH balance in favour of Candida overgrowth,.
- Condom: Use of Condoms containing nonoxynol-9, spermicides and latex may cause yeast infection.
- Perpetual masturbation.
- Lack of personal hygiene.
- Uncircumcised males: Men who are not circumcised should be extra careful about cleaning the skin under their foreskin regularly to avoid accumulation of any yeast population, as the warm, humid layers of the foreskin is an ideal breeding ground for the Candida albicans. Keeping this area clean and dry can go a long way in preventing this fungus from turning invasive.
Although, a number of anti-fungal creams are available (both prescribed and over-the-counter) penile yeast infections are reported to recur after a temporary respite. Another risk is the chance of getting re-infected via transmission from sexual partner even after the earlier infection is cured completely.
Common natural ways to alleviate the symptoms of penile Candidiasis include applying raw, pure, unheated and unprocessed honey at infected areas, and topically applying plain, unpasteurized yoghurt that contains no added sugar or additives. Washing with betadine can relieve most of the irritation at the penis. Do not use baking soda as douche, as it actually fosters Candida growth.
Pure, organic, tea-tree oil, when applied, can act as a very effective anti-fungal agent. For sensitive skin, it is better to use 20% tea tree oil diluted with jojoba oil.
Remedies for symptoms of penile Candidiasis, even when administered naturally, leave the root cause untreated, and sustained infection recurs after some time. Treat your condition holistically, by taking care of all the contributing factors such as diet, immunity issues, pH imbalance, disturbance in internal energy flow, lack of exercise, improper blood circulation, inability of the liver to detoxify, accumulated toxins and depletion of probiotics in the crotch and gut. It is the best way to tackle a persistent condition like yeast infection. While the anti-fungal agents can treat you in a patchy and quick-fix way, holistic treatment can ensure a lifelong relief from yeast infection without any side-effects.